Responding to the challenges facing Christian youth work
Following a meeting of the Christian Youth Work Consortium in spring 2019, Rev David Howell updates us on their plans to respond to the challenges facing Christian youth work/ministry and theological education/training.
The Birmingham Conversation
In November 2018, just before the National Youth Ministry Weekend in Birmingham, the UK Christian Youth Work Consortium, supported by CTE, brought together leaders of Christian youth work/ministry across the denominations and Christian agencies. The aim was to continue a conversation held in Belfast in May 2018, which had been organised by the Professional Association of Lecturers in Youth & Community Work. This had been a day conference which had revisited the value of Christian faith-based youth work.
Through these conversations we have sought to recognise and affirm our common unity in God’s kingdom in training and supporting those in Christian youth work/ministry; have a deeper understanding of the variety of learning that our providers offer and our place within that provision; raise the profile of good quality training for those in Christian youth work/ministry, and propose ideas to encourage the development of Christian youth work/ministry across the four nations
The outcomes of the Birmingham Conversation are that we will:
1. Explore the way in which we can be a ‘voice’ to the churches on behalf of Christian youth work/ministry training agencies
2. Encourage churches and Christian agencies to recognise the importance of quality work with young people and the value of trained practitioners
3. Explore the development of a research community and the dissemination of research
4. Work with key stakeholders to develop a set of competencies which articulate the skills, knowledge and attitude required of those engaged in Christian youth work/ministry
5. Explore the joint development of a training package for placements, line-managers and practice tutors
Rev David Howell, coordinator of the Christian Youth Work Consortium
For more information, please contact David at email@example.com